Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ugly Orange Pants

I've been working on projects, even if I haven't been posting.

I started a leg of the ugly orange pants for Sam, and knitted about 4" before I got sick of the color and wanted to see if I'd like the pants before I finished making them.

So, I stuck them on DPNs and started another pair of the "pants" but am making them as shorts. They're much cuter than the orange ones, and are yellow, green, and blue. I've only done about 1", but I'm liking them so far.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

So, here are the 100purewool yarns. They're super soft and gorgeous.

And out of all of them, Sam chose the BRIGHT ORANGE one on the top right (it's actually brighter in person, if that's possible) as his favorite. So, I'm going to make him some little pants out of them. Hopefully, they'll be big enough for next fall, too. Nutty kid. I have tons of normal colors, and he chooses the blinding one.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

I made a hat for Sam

Well, this is my new effort at documenting my learning to knit, and it's starting with a good thing! For the last 2 days, I've been working on my very first knitting project. It's a hat for my little guy Sam for next winter. I think it's going to be too small for him, but that's ok. I'll use it for baby #2 for some winter. It's made from 100purewool, which is the best yarn ever! I'm left handed, and it didn't unravel as I knitted with it. Also, it took less than half of the ball, so I can make either a second hat (one for Sam) or a pair of mittens to match the hat (when I learn to make mittens). I used size 7 Addi turbo circular needles, and a size 6 cheapo dpn at the end (when it was too small for the circular). I definitely need a second Addi circular. But for a first project, I'm in love. Here it is:

Also, Jimmy made me a swift. It's definitely not the $50 kind, but it's wonderful. I bought all the supplies for $5.50, and he worked really hard to put it together. The wood on top rubs the bottom a little sometimes, but it's made me able to wind a ball of yarn in 1/2 hour instead of 1 1/2 hours. A huge improvement!